Sunday, March 10, 2013

View from St. Clare

This is the view from the plaza of St. Clare in Assisi Italy, overlooking the peaceful Umbrian valley.  As we traveled through Italy for our 25th anniversary (5 years ago already - oh my!) we visited many churches and, to be honest, the extravagant gilding got to be a little much for me.  When we went to Assisi we visited, yes, more churches.  
But St. Clare was different.  
It was plain.  
It was simple. 
There were no gilded pillars and no ornate mosaics.  
No pretense. 
 It was completely Spirit-filled.
It is also home to the original San Damiano cross 
that called the simplest of all beggars, St. Francis of Assisi.

I LOVED St. Clare.
As the sun set I was reminded who the master artist is.
My challenge in painting "View from St. Clare" was to somehow capture the tranquil feeling of that moment.  There were no formulas for this... I just let the spirit paint...
 View from St. Clare, available
6x6 Oil, framed

No comments:

Post a Comment