Sunday, March 3, 2013

House Hunting

 To warm your soul and remind you that the winter chill will soon be replaced by the hope of new life, I am posting the "house hunting" of nature that is about to begin in earnest.   

This little bluebird visited my yard a few years ago and was so much fun to watch as he clearly was trying to attract his future mate to this lovely home.  She accepted his proposal and before long their family began :) 

I loved everything about this composition: the verticals of the background trees that mimicked the house, the dynamic lines of the roof and plants that lead your eye to the entrance of the little home and, especially, the way the sun and shadow drape across the entrance in welcome.

But here's my little secret:  the amorous blue bird would not stay still long enough for me to take his portrait on the roof!  So I took a picture of him on a branch and did a little photo manipulation (click on the image and you can see).  The trick was to catch him with the lighting the same as the house.


My artistic vision of this scene was much warmer than the camera captured, adding a glow to the cozy home that would soon be brimming with life.  Happy Spring!
House HuntingSOLD
5x7 Oil

No comments:

Post a Comment