Sunday, February 17, 2013

Vineyards at Southpoint

The beautiful countryside and peaceful feel of Durham's Vineyards at Southpoint made for a great day of plein air painting with my friend Betsy Duncan.  I loved the glowing backlit vines and the wonderful shadows cast by nearby pines, so I adjusted my composition to emphasize that light by cropping out the sky (and Betsy too - sorry! :)   I enhanced the contrast of dark and light values, but kept the little white house subdued so that it didn't draw too much attention.  All in all I was very pleased with this plein air piece, so I painted a larger version (at bottom) in my studio. 
The view from my easel

  
 In the larger studio version, I let a little bit of sky peek through to give more depth and I warmed up the colors of my sunlit areas.   This painting was juried in to the 2011 Junior League of Raleigh art show at the Raleigh Convention Center.

And now for a special thank you gift ... 
If you sign up to receive this blog by email, I will send to you a free 6x8 reproduction of this painting, printed on 8x10 satin card stock.  How's that for sweet grapes?!  
There are only 25 prints available, so they will go to the quickest art lovers :)

Just enter your email address in the "Receive by Email" box on the top right and press submit.  Then be sure to provide your snail mail address to me (click here) so that I know where to send your gift.

Are you already a subscriber?  Just share this blog with a friend who then subscribes and both of you will receive this gift, along with a little bit of sunshine on Sunday mornings.


2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I am enjoying your artwork and technical advice that joins the painting. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti - I'm so glad you're enjoying my new blog. I checked out yours too and I love your pet portraits... they have so much energy and character! Keep up the great work.

      Delete