Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sweet Tooth

One of my favorite painting subjects isn't exactly a subject, but a color... white.  The reason I love painting white is that it is never really "white", it takes on nuances of the sky and the objects around it. 

In this photo of my daughter feeding my father's horse, Caramillo, I was entranced by the back-lighting that bounced all over the salmon-colored walls and, in my eye, made for a glowing effect of complementary pastel colors on the "white" horse.

I cropped the photo to emphasize the story... Caramillo with a sweet tooth :). 

Since my reason for painting this was to portray the beautiful blending of reflected sky and salmon walls, I kept the composition simple and eliminated the over-hanging tree.  Then I had fun with the colors.
This painting is currently on exhibit at the equestrian show at Waverly Artist's Group.  It won Honorable Mention from the Fine Arts League of Cary.

No comments:

Post a Comment