Sunday, May 17, 2015

Down Under

In 2014, we took a trip to Australia (highly recommend!)  On our drive up the east coast between Cairns (pronounced "Cans") and Port Douglas, we stopped at this beautiful, but desolate beach.  I suspect the crocs and stingers (deadly jellyfish) had something to do with the desolation, but nonetheless it was an incredibly peaceful place to take a break from driving on the wrong, um, I mean the left, side of the road.  The sun was setting, the shadows were long, and this weather-worn branch rose from the sand in a graceful statement of solitude.  Simply lovely.
 By the way, I wasn't joking about the crocs and stingers! :)
I cropped my original photo to focus more on the graceful shape of the driftwood.
Then I covered my drawing with warm colors (okay, it's all orange) to contrast with what I knew was going to be a cool painting.
In this step, I covered the dark areas to make sure I liked the way it makes the eye move around the composition (I do!)
After establishing all of the "under structure", the rest of the process involved trying to make sure I didn't mess it up!  :) 

Down Under, 8x10 oil, available

No comments:

Post a Comment