Sunday, September 29, 2013

Two Views: Safe Harbor and Red Boat Reflections

Often, there are several different paintings that can come from one photograph.  This particular view of Vernazza, Italy, inspired two paintings for me, focusing on different aspects of the same scene.
In Safe Harbor, I cropped the original photograph to emphasize movement.  I liked the diagonal lines that start with the reflection near the bottom right and zigzag through the boats, up to the walkway on the top right, and across the plaza to the left.
My challenge with this composition was to gently bring the viewer's eye back to the foreground.  My solution was to emphasize the reflections of the buildings and umbrellas to vertically connect back to the boats.  Here is Safe Harbor, 20x20 Oil:
After the first painting, I decided I liked the reflections so much that I wanted to paint the scene again, but with the focus primarily on the boat reflections.  I chose a long, horizontal format and cropped the image for my 18x36 canvas like this:
Here's the result ...another point of view.  Red Boat Reflections, 18x36 Oil

Both of these paintings are currently available at The Little Art Gallery.

2 comments:

  1. Sonia, the effect of boat reflections that you created are fabulous. Congratulations for such impeccable work!
    Ana Palla-Kane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana. I do love painting reflections because it makes me pay attention to the beautiful way that water can transform a solid object and allow it to be fluidly free. It's like the water says, "Let's dance!" :)

      Delete