Sunday, June 2, 2013

Spring at Homewood Nursery

This small painting is one of my personal favorites (though I have many!)  Begun on location at Homewood Nursery in Raleigh, I loved painting the glow of the reflected light and colors in the shadows on the planter and the many layers of blossoms and greenery along the pathway.
Since my center of interest was the reflected light on the planter, I chose to contrast the warm orange-y glow by making the foreground flower a blue iris rather than yellow and then repeated this color in the background irises.  I also darkened the value of that flower so that it would blend in with the shadow and not draw attention to itself.  Another change I made was to continue the pink flowers all the way to the planter in order to lead your eye there and not have the pink flowers be so isolated.  One final change was to give more depth to the scene by using a blue haze to make the background recede behind the planter.  Happy Spring!
Spring at Homewood Nursery
6x8 oil, SOLD

4 comments:

  1. I have always loved springtime at the Homewood Nursery and I love gardening in my own yard. I saw this painting on display at Duke Raleigh Hospital and instantly fell in love with it. It is now prominently displayed in my dining room and I love it! E. Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that this painting found you, Ellen, and it is so loved :)
    Thank you!
    -Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work, Sonia. The Homewood Nursery must have many nice images to put to canvas.
    Paul and Marianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul and Marianne. I think it's time for me to take a trip back there and paint again!

      Delete