Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Time to Begin...

This year, 2013, is the perfect year to begin something I have long avoided doing ... starting an art blog.  Before starting my blog, however, I wanted to make sure that I truly had something to say and I've finally decided that the answer to that is definitely "YES!"  Hopefully you will agree :)  So here it is ... time to begin my Sunday posts by a painter of sunlit moments ...

Something that I love seeing from other artists is the reference image that inspired their painting (especially if it was painted on location). It helps me to understand the choices they had to make in designing their composition and emphasizing what they saw as important.  One thing I've learned as an artist is that we all "see" in very different ways!

So I am beginning my blog by "shedding light" on how I see and why I paint...

First up is a photo I took of a poinsettia peeking around a corner in Mexico. What I loved about this image was the interesting shadow cast by the poinsettia.  But my eye kept being pulled from the shadow to the silhouette of the background tree.

So I cropped the tree from view and found the composition much more relaxing...

In my final composition I cropped the foreground so that the shadow would serve as an "entry point" for the eye, and I joined the two cast shadows so that they wouldn't be competing elements.  My favorite part of painting this scene was playing with the warm light through the red flowers reflected into the cool shadow on the patio.  It was something that I had to see by being there since it definitely doesn't come through in the photograph!
Poinsettia in the Sun, 16x20 Oil, SOLD

3 comments:

  1. Sonia! Congratulations on this new adventure! I TOTALLY LOVE your poinsettia painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Monica! Right now I'm ready for a little reminder of Spring, so no more poinsettias for awhile :)

    ReplyDelete